The aims and objectives of the Prep School History Department are as follows:
- To develop an enthusiasm for and interest in History.
- To develop awareness of the past and of the way in which the past impinges on the present and the future.
- To prepare pupils for the Common Entrance Exam at 13+ in accordance with the aims and objectives of the school.
- To prepare pupils for Public School Scholarship Exams at 13+ in accordance with the aims and objectives of the school.
- To follow the National Curriculum as near as possible while keeping the above aims to the fore.
- To develop an awareness and understanding of historical terminology and chronology.
- To teach pupils how to express themselves clearly in both speech and writing and to develop their reading skills. They should be taught to use grammatically correct sentences and to spell and punctuate accurately in order to communicate effectively.
- To give the pupils the opportunity, where appropriate, to develop and apply their ICT skills in the study of history.
- To emphasize the five key elements of the understanding History:
I Chronological Understanding
II Knowledge and understanding of events, people and changes in the past.
III Historical Interpretation.
IV Historical Enquiry.
V Organisation and Communication.