Following their final examinations which take place mid-way through the summer term, Year 8 embark on what we refer to as the ‘Enrichment Programme’. It is designed specifically to enrich their learning, free from the constraints of the examination syllabi; a period where there is time to explore and expand their knowledge beyond normal expectations.
This is achieved through a series of activities and challenges, most intellectual, some physical but all with the aim of developing new skills and equipping our Year 8 pupils to be able to face the challenges of moving to their new schools and beyond.
The challenges and activities this year included:
- Analysing a range of children’s books and then creating their own characters and stories
- Financial Management culminating in a trip to the Barclays Bank headquarters in London
- Forensic Techniques leading to the solving of a fictional murder mystery
- Urban Fieldwork projects based in and around Chichester
- Exploring the history, language and culture of other French speaking countries.
- Looking at the contribution of Federico Garcia Lorca to Spanish literature and Spain’s cultural history
- Composing pop songs and directing accompanying pop videos
- Theatre design including lighting techniques, costume design and set construction
- Film making, film editing and stop motion animation
- Writing and performing a Comedy Sketch Night for their parents
- Using the iPads to illustrate their English story books
- The annual ‘Leavers Walk’ from Copthorne to Ditchling
- A week long watersports trip to South West France
- Cricket and Rounders matches against their parents
- Spending time with the residents of Heatherley and Francis Court care homes
- Completing a St. John First Aid Course