What a fabulous day we had on Thursday to celebrate Chinese New Year!
The children all came in red, or Chinese-style outfits, as did the staff, and in case your child cannot remember everything that happened, here is an outline!:
- Obstacle course keeping on the Chinese hat (Mrs Parker)
- Tasting spring rolls and prawn crackers with hoisin sauce, white wine vinegar and sweet chilli sauce (Mrs Pitcaithly)
- Cooking sesame biscuits or noodles (Mrs Passmore)
- Playing instruments, singing a Chinese New Year Song and dragon dancing (Mrs Farmer) Painting dragon masks and Chinese numerals (Mrs Bogdanovski)
- Hearing the 12 Animals story and then outside racing to see which of the animals was fastest (Mrs Tregunno)
- Playing a game with Chinese numbers and learning about life in Chinese schools (Mrs Bird)
- Making rabbit masks (Miss Coetzee)
The children had extra fun in their breaks at the Chinese ‘stalls’; they were able to buy fortune cookies and fairy cakes with lovely red butter icing, to guess the name of the rabbit and to have a go at the ‘Chopstick Challenge’ (using chopsticks to pick up as many sweets as possible in 1 minute!)
The Nursery children enjoyed their own activities as well, including making rabbit masks, ribbon dancing, cake decorating, role play of the animals race, making Kung Hey Fat Choy cards, and guessing the name of the rabbit.
A Chinese lunch was served by ‘Chinese’ dinner ladies, and eaten with chopsticks. Maria has been counting money on and off all day and the total is over £420 … Lucky Hongli-Ye! We will not need to ask you for any Action Aid money for a long time … thank you very much for your support!
Years 3 & 4 children came to join in, and spent their pocket money too .. thank you again.
Well done to Kieron and Ella who correctly guessed the name of the rabbit in each department, (Luke – Pre-Prep Rabbit, and Harvey – Nursery Rabbit), and also to ‘Green 2’ who were the fast-est team round the obstacle course! It was particularly good fun seeing the children work together in different age groups, with older ones helping younger ones and the house teams cheering each other on.
A big thank you to Mrs Bird who organised the event, and also to ALL the Pre-Prep & Nursery staff – teachers and TAs – who were tireless and energetic all day.
A Very Happy Year of the Rabbit to one and all!