Students with headteacher

1st XI Football v Ardingly

12th October 2017

The 1st XI played their first away game since the opening day of the season and it was very refreshing to have an independent referee take control of the game. Having played against Ardingly in the Copthorne 6’s a couple of weeks ago we knew this was going to be our toughest test of the season so far. The score line suggests that this was completely one way traffic however it was the best game of football we have played all year. We played out from the back, made the easy pass more often than not and got stuck in from the first whistle. The difference between the two sides was a little bit more composure in the final third of the pitch and placement of shots on goal. Austin, in goal, was very rarely called in to action but when he was there was little he could do to make the save. Charlie, Luca and Ben B were relatively solid at the back and Liban and Louis made their tackles out wide. The two Sam’s were getting plenty of touches of the ball out wide thanks to some threaded passes from our midfield duo of Jacob and Ben C and Alex, and later Joseph, found plenty of room to get involved in the attacking positions. We scored a cracking goal in the second half where a lovely through ball from Ben C was latched upon by Sam D, who took one look up before curling it high and wide of the keeper, into the top corner. A well-deserved goal that was applauded by fans from both home and away.

I was very pleased with the performance today and I believe that playing against a very strong Ardingly team made our boys step up a few gears, believe in themselves and prove that they have plenty more in the tank. Football is a strange game at times and from the outside you would think that the 2-1 win against Cottesmore would please me more, however this performance was exactly what I have been waiting for. All 12 boys showed that they can mix it with the stronger sides in the area and I am hoping that they can grow from this and produce the same against Cumnor and St Christopher’s in the final matches.