Students with headteacher

Copthorne 6-a-side Football Tournament

4th October 2016

Copthorne 6-a-side Tournament
The 1st VI were desperate to take advantage of playing on home soil and after a promising performance at the Brambletye 6’s only 2 weeks ago they went into the tournament in high spirits.

Game 1: v Ardingly
Our opening group game against Ardingly had a slow start and although we dominated possession we were lacking a little pace in the final third.  Knowing that we needed to get an early win on the board the boys sprung to life after the half time whistle when Daniel poked home from close range.  Rather than sit back and protect the lead I brought Beau in to the action and we went searching for more goals. Daniel grabbed a second goal within minutes of his first before Beau finished them off to make the score 3-0.

Game 2: v Pennthorpe
Two wins is usually enough to secure safe passage into the semi-finals and we wanted to complete that task as early as possible.  Some nice interplay down the left wing between Ben, Daniel and Beau gave the latter an easy tap in at the back post to open the scoring.  Nick had very little to do in goal as between them Bradley, Zac and Luke sniffed out any sign of danger high up the pitch.  We were in control of the game but knew that at 1-0 there was always a chance of a slip up. Daniel, with his third of the afternoon, put the game beyond Pennthorpe to record a solid 2-0 win.

Game 3: v Brambletye
Brambletye have been our bogey team this season and although we have been the dominant team in all 3 meetings and never looked like losing a game there has been something preventing us from grabbing that craved win! This was to be no different and the end result of 0-0 still meant that we finished the group stage in top spot whilst our local rivals took second place.  Credit must go to our defensive players as we did not concede a goal in the 3 matches whilst our attacking duo hit 5 between them.

Semi-Final: v Cumnor House
This was to be a re-run of the Brambletye 6’s semi-final and unfortunately for us the result was also the same. In truth we never really got started and showed Cumnor far too much respect. It was as if we were accepting defeat before a ball had been kicked. Cumnor took an early lead and doubled the deficit midway through the second half. Although we had plenty of possession we found it hard to create any clear cut chances and the game fizzled out. The boys knew that they had a great chance to make the final but on this occasion it was not to be.

Before the tournament we set a target of reaching the semi-final as a minimum; and we did that. We can be proud of our efforts but there will be a touch of frustration in the morning. Well done to the 7 boys in the squad who have now reached 1 final and 2 semi-finals in the 3 tournaments entered this season. That’s pretty good going!