Students with headteacher

U8 Tag Tournament at Pennthorpe

17th March 2016

A cold afternoon saw the U8 boys travel to Pennthorpe for the annual U8 tag tournament. A tournament with 6 teams all playing each other on two pitches throughout the afternoon. With some strong schools in attendance it would be a tough afternoon for the boys who put in some determined and gritty performances.

The afternoon started off against eventual winners Longacre. After a slow start the boys got themselves into gear and scores were traded throughout an exciting match. Longacre always seemed to be that little more in control though and eventually they edged ahead by two scores. The second half saw the boys put in a fantastic performance only to be denied at the final whistle and lose by just one score. A promising start though.

The second game saw us take on Pennthorpe, a side who had comfortably beaten the boys two weeks previous. Copthorne always seemed to be in control but Pennthorpe kept finding a try to keep themselves in the game. When it looked as if Copthorne would gain the win, Pennthorpe sneaked into the corner on the final play of the game as the match ended in a somewhat disappointing draw.

The third game saw the boys take on a strong Haselmere side. The first half went really well as the boys found ways past a well drilled defence and at half time were one try to the good. The slight slope on the pitch helped Haselmere in the second half and their strong runners proved too much for us as they ended up winning the match by two tries.

The fourth game was against Lancing Prep. The opposition only had one strong player but it was him who made the difference as time and time again he cut through Copthorne’s defence and scored 8 tries in just the one match. Copthorne found it easy to cut through the Lancing defence and were one try up with time running out. With the try line at their mercy, Copthorne dropped the ball over the line gifting the ball back to Lancing who immediately went down the other end to level the scores as the final whistle sounded. Another disappointing draw.

The final game saw us come up against a very strong Reigate St Marys team who had beaten everyone throughout the day. After such a long and cold afternoon the boys could not pull off any heroics as Reigate made the score 6-0 before half time at which point the referee ended the match early.

Well done to all the boys for all their hard work this season. They have come a long way in a short space of time and I feel results over the term haven’t always gone their way. I am sure that they are all raring for contact in Year 4 where I hope they will continue to progress and gain more victories. CC