U8 v St Christopher’s

10th November 2017

The under 8’s made the long journey down to Glebe Villas with the expectation that the pitches were going to be boggy and wet. It turned out that the best part of the day was in fact the pitches. The A’s played first and started sluggishly. We received a wakeup call when Taran was fairly tackled on the edge of the pitch, as he ran away, he was fly hacked from behind by one of the St Christopher’s players. The following shout of ‘Play on!’ from the referee showed us we were in for a battle. We started sluggishly and found ourselves one-nil down after about 5 minutes as we failed to clear a fairly simple pass into our defence, the Christopher’s player ran through and scored on the rebound off Rohan’s face.  We began to wake up and start playing as we knew we could towards the end of the first half. We had a couple of chances that we failed to score from, but left ourselves a little short going forward as Harry had to come back and help the defence on many occasions. At half time the boys were a little shocked with the physicality of the game (sometimes too physical)  and decided that we had to be a little tougher when tackling and running with their players. This improved us hugely, although St Christopher’s scored early in the second half from a flicked on corner, we started to dictate the game. We scored  midway through the second half with Taran placing the ball to the goalkeepers right and nicely into the left hand corner. This kicked us in to gear and we controlled the game from here on in.  Harry made a great break after a nice pass from Charlie, on his way, 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper, the defender had another fly hack at his heels in the penalty area. Despite tripping Harry up, ‘play on’ was called again and took away a key chance in the game. We had another couple of chances towards the end with the St Christopher’s goalkeeper making some good saves. A tough game, but should stand us in good stead for the rugby season that soon approaches.



The B’s played against the St Christopher’s under 9’s C team. Playing a year above their age, we imagined we were in for a tough match. We started fairly well with Alfie scoring after just 2 minutes. A slight lapse in concentration and a good finish from the St Christopher’s winger made it 1-1 after roughly 5 minutes. A new role in the team was well completed with a great defensive performance from Caelan and Harry, the St Christopher’s players didn’t get another sniff for the rest of the game. We continued to press forward with great work from Alfie, Taylor and Eddie in midfield. we went into half time 3-1 up and feeling positive. A different referee and team meant this was the more pleasing footballing match out of the two. Both team tried to get the ball down and play nice football. Move of the day was a quick corner from Taylor into Harrison who was quick enough to find a pass to Caelan on the penalty spot who saw his shot fly agonisingly wide of the goal, all the fans on the side line were impressed with the speed and accuracy of the play. We continued to pepper the St Christopher’s goal and finished winning 7-1. With the Christopher’s goalkeeper making 5/6 wonderful saves to save their blushes. A great results for a very strong and impressive ‘B’ team who have played well all season. One more week of football will take us to Cumnor house again for their 4×4 training competition. We then move onto Tag rugby and are all looking forward to it.