Reception, Year 1 & Year 2
Where Copthorne gives your child the tools for learning
This is a very formative period for your child and as a parent of a 4-7 year old you’ll appreciate how many different things your child can be busy with!
Here, in small class groups, we offer a broad and exciting curriculum for the liveliest and most enquiring minds. We place great emphasis on learning to read and thinking mathematically and scientifically – Language, Maths and Science are core subjects. Your child will also be introduced to History, Geography, Religious Education, French, Art and Crafts, Information Technology, Music and Physical Education.
It is essential that children are offered both structure and the flexibility to grow as individuals from an early age.
— Year 2 Teacher
The Pre-Prep is just down the path from the Prep School, in a self-contained area with its own all weather playground, 2 big climbing frames and the biggest sandpit in the area! The children also enjoy the benefits of the main school facilities including the Chapel, the dining room and Theatre, the Sports Hall, swimming pool and the extensive playing fields.
Other things you will want to know
- The school day starts at 08:10 and finishes at 15:30
- You can also take advantage of pre- and after-school care from 07:30 until 18:00
- Our average class size is 16 and there is a Teaching Assistant in each class to support the class teacher
- The Read, Write Inc. programme ensures careful monitoring of each child’s progress in literacy
- Our Abacus scheme provides solid mathematical foundations for all abilities
- Your child will have a weekly swimming lesson
- Our diverse after-school activity programme includes street dance, climbing, Spanish, cookery and Forest Fun.
- Positivity and praise are our mantras!
Please get in touch for more information.