Years 3 to 8
The development of academic rigour through monitoring and assessment
The Prep School runs from Year 3 to Year 8: children aged from 7-13. Over these six years you will see your child gradually develop their confidence, their passion for learning and their awareness of their responsibility as a global citizen. Your child will be challenged to reach their full potential and, as a result, will be well prepared for their progression to the senior school of their choice.
Throughout Copthorne Prep, pupils attain excellent standards and demonstrate an enthusiasm for learning and a desire to be the best they can be.
— ISI 2015
Learning in the Prep School is exciting. It’s where curiosity is channelled, independence is formed and effort is celebrated. The curriculum is broad but balanced and your child will be assessed to ensure that he or she continues to make progress and receives appropriate support and guidance. In addition, a wide range of extracurricular opportunities are offered – we have excellent creative and performing arts facilities and fantastic sports coaching.
Above all we recognise the importance of pastoral care and ensure that the school environment is nurturing, supportive and safeguards every child.
Other things you will want to know
- we place the highest premium on three broad values: respect for others, respect for property and respect for self
- school starts at 08:15 but your child can be dropped off from 07:30 for breakfast
- the school day ends at 16:40 for years 3-8
- your child can stay later for afternoon activities (until 17:20), tea (until 17:50) and/or prep or evening activities (until 20:00)
- boarding places are available either weekly (Monday to Thursday) or on an occasional basis
- over 70 percent of pupils learn a musical instrument
- school buses run from Crawley, Horley, Horsham and East Grinstead
- we run holiday clubs during the school holidays
- parents evenings are run in the Autumn and Spring Terms giving you the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress with each of their subject teachers
Please get in touch for more information.