Geography is seen at Copthorne Prep as one of the key academic subjects and is taught as a stand alone subject throughout the prep school. Although no longer a compulsory subject at common entrance, it remains part of the core curriculum. In the pre-prep, the subject is taught across the year groups often as part of topic based learning, while in years 3 – 4 it is taught as part of the humanities.
- Provide an integrated framework which allows continuous development of the subject throughout the school
- Develop in the pupil a strong interest in their immediate surroundings, spreading to the world at large
- Encourage an enquiring mind into how and why events happen in both the physical and human aspects of the subject
- Develop a wide range of practical and language skills relating to the subject
- Foster an understanding of the fragility of the world and its ecosystems and man’s effect upon them
- Engender a sense of responsibility for the environment in which we live promoting a sense of stewardship and the necessity for sustainable development